In my lifetime I have spent many an hour huddled over a campfire, painstakingly rotating a twig bent in despair from the weight of a dense, gooey marshmallow. The noble quest was always to achieve highly esteemed and oh-so-tasty golden brown perfection. Last summer I worked as a camp counselor and was reminded of the cheap thrill s’more-making gives kids (and adults). I thoroughly understand the importance of a good s’more and decided I would do it justice by creating the cadillac of cookies. I adapted and simplified a beloved chocolate chip cookie recipe to what I will shamelessly call dessert perfection.
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (or 1/2 whole wheat + 3/4 AP)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped vegan marshmallows
- 4 vegan graham crackers, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a small dish, mix together the flax seed and water.
2. In a food processor or large bowl, mix together the flax mixture, margarine, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and crushed graham crackers. Add the margarine mixture and stir until well incorporated.
4. Roll into about 24-26 balls and place on a plate or pan lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes, until marshmallow & chocolate are gooey.
When the cookies are done, allow to stand 10 minutes (if you can wait that long). Vegan s’mores cookies go perfect with a glass of soy milk!