Last night Ben and I hosted a drinking vessel party– a party where everyone is encouraged to show up with a strange and unique thing out of which to drink. I came up with the idea for this party when I was in college but stowed it away for the perfect time (I guess Super Bowl Eve 2k16 was that time, because there’s no better way to start a day of drinking than waking up drunk).
Most of the parties we host are potlucks so our friends are conditioned to expect loads of food alongside their booze. I was a little nervous that a party which actively encourages drinking alcohol from oversized containers with no food would end badly, so we got six types of chips and three varieties of hummus. I don’t know about you, but I prefer to my drunken downward spirals to be fueled by sugar, so I made these Rice Krispie Treats.
I should say that I had not eaten Rice Krispie Treats in about 10 years before this, so I was really pleased to find out that they are DELICIOUS when you’re an intoxicated hot mess (and pretty tasty when you’re sober, too). If I ever run for public office my platform will be “peanut butter in everything, always”, so peanut butter and chocolate felt like necessary additions. I don’t buy marshmallows very often (except for s’mores cookies and s’meaches) but I might have to change that. The best thing about these is that they’re stupidly simple – no baking required.
Makes roughly 24 squares
- 1 bag vegan mini marshmallows (I use Dandies)
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Melt the vegan margarine and 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a medium saucepan. Add the marshmallows and cook down, stirring, over medium heat until the marshmallows are totally melted. Add the peanut butter and stir.
- In a large bowl (or directly in a 9×13 pan) combine the marshmallow mixture and the cereal and mix well to combine. Press the mixture firmly into the pan. Place the chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon coconut oil into a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Mix the oil and chocolate – heat for an additional 30-60 seconds if necessary. Pour over the rice krispies and top with additional chocolate chips or marshmallows if desired. Place in the fridge and let set for 15 minutes or until the chocolate hardens. Slice into squares and serve.
Thanks to Dandies for supplying me with plenty of ‘shmellows!