It’s unseasonably cold in Madison and let me tell you SOMEONE’S PISSED. This same someone’s also sick. Don’t give me a glass vase or the kneecaps of someone who crossed the mafia the wrong way cuz I’ll probably break them out of rage without apology. I don’t like to get too graphic here but this morning I threw like all of my laundry on the floor out of frustration. I pride myself on never getting sick so the snot dripping down my face is really only adding insult to cold, bitter injury.
Instead of trying to fight this cold in a rap battle or some other form of public humiliation I’ve decided to take the high road and GET OVER IT. I may have slipped a few harsh words about his mother yesterday but I’m being the bigger person now. To get over said cold I made a batch of this soup which is scientifically-proven* to make you better quick. This soup also just so happen to be the twelfth out of 50 ways to love a chickpea! Boy oh boy this excitement is making me wheeze.
*not scientifically proven
Kick the Sick Chickpea Stew
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut (olive, or vegetable) oil for frying
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or water + bouillon*)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2-3 leaves swiss chard/collard greens/kale
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2” chunk of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
1. Heat the coconut oil in a medium skillet and add the mushrooms. Fry 4-5 minutes or until browned and soft.
2. Place a large pot on the stove and add the vegetable stock plus the veggies, bay leaf, ginger, garlic and chickpeas. Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and the veggies are soft.