Oh man oh man. This is to die for. I made this last weekend while visiting my lovely Aunt Ali. She begged for the sauce recipe so here it is, Al!
Tomato-Cashew Special Sauce
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 small, ripe tomato (1/2 to 1 cup chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast [Don’t even think about omitting this!]
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Blend in a food processor or blender, add water as needed to loosen up. You want it to be a thick, spreadable pizza sauce. This can be modified to be a nomtastic spaghetti sauce by adding 1/4 cup of water.
Izzy Pizzy Pizza
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Tomato-Cashew Special Sauce
- 1/4 cup chickpeas (of course.)
- 1 pre-prepared whole wheat pizza dough or make yo own
1. With floured hands, stretch out pizza dough by bouncing it in a circular motion on your hands. If this feels overly ambitious, simply roll it out on a floured counter (das what I did). Lay the dough on a corn meal-ed pan or preheated pizza stone. Pop in the oven for 5-6 minutes at 450º. Remove from the oven- the dough should be getting firm and crusty.
2. Throw the onions and peppers in a pan with a splash of olive oil. Sauté for 6-7 minutes, until the veg are browned and soft.
3. Throw that Special Sauce on the pizza, dangit! Spread evenly and top with sauteéd veg, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Add a splash of olive oil and pop the whole thing back in the oven at 450º for 15-20 minutes, checking often to be sure it doesn’t burn.
That simple. Try not to burn your mouth shoving this deliciousness in it.