“And on the seventh day God created the chickpea…”
That’s how it goes, isn’t it?
My mom recently discovered a 6 pound can of chickpeas at Costco and being the loving, considerate, and generous person that she is bought it for me. Dreams really do come true! It should last me about 3 whole days.
From that there can of chickpeas came the SIXTH way to love a chickpea. I was packing lunch for a hike with my friends Ben and Drew and wanted to make a sandwich filled with energy in the form of protein, good carbs, andhealthy fats. I wanted a slightly chunkier version of hummus but with a smooth, creamy taste (cue: cashew sauce). I slathered the mixture on toasted multigrain bread with a handful of spinach and gobbled it up on the top of the mountain. Tied for first place on my list of gr8 things with the elusive nice weather we experienced atop Mount Washington!
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1. Begin by mashing the chickpeas with the back of a fork. They can be as chunky or as mix-mashed as you desire.
2. Combine the remaining 4 ingredients (cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt) in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add a few teaspoons water to loosen up if necessary.
3. Combine the mashed chickpeas with the cashew cheeze sauce and mix well.
Spread (/mash) onto some toast for a delish sandwich! Insta-energy!