I’ve been staying with my parents this week while Ben is in London. You know, quality family time. Aside from getting into fights with my mom à la 16-year-old me (she thinks I’m a messy cook and don’t know how to do my own laundry, I think she pesters me too much), it’s been really nice. One thing that’s been great is having unbridled access to the pantry and cooking whatever the FLIP I want without having to do any grocery shopping (sorry, Mom). Also, wine. Endless wine.
This week something else of note is happening: the Virtual Vegan Potluck! I’m new to this, but it’s basically a bunch of vegan bloggers who get together to throw down and share mad vegan recipes so that you end up with drool all over your keyboard. What’s not to like? You can start over at Vegan Miam, who leads off the appetizer course, then click allll the way through the many lovely recipes to dessert. The featured ingredients are citrus fruits, so obviously I had to make the ill grapefruit vinaigrette I’ve been making like it’s my bidnass for weeks. This is one of my real go-to dishes when I don’t feel like cooking but want something hearty and delicious. I doubled the recipe you see listed below specifically so that I can eat this for the whole weekend and into next week. Maybe I’ll even share it with my parents (if they’re lucky).
Lentil Sweet Potato Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette & Crispy Shallots
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 small sweet potatoes or 2 large, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced into 1/8″ pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs olive oil + a bit more for sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1-2 wedges of grapefruit
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. In a medium pot, combine the vegetable stock and white wine, then bring to a boil. Add the lentils, reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer until tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, about 35 to 40 mins.
2. In the mean time, preheat oven to 400* and toss the sweet potato pieces lightly in olive oil. Spread on a cookie sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until tender. Remove and set aside.
3. Combine the olive oil, balsamic, maple syrup, dijon mustard, and juice of the grapefruit in a bowl and whisk well. In a large bowl, combine the lentils, roasted sweet potato, dried cranberries, and the dressing. Toss well.
4. Add the vegetable oil to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Add the chopped shallots and cooking, stirring, until lightly browned. Pour over a strainer and save the oil if desired. Allow the shallots to cool, then toss with the lentil salad. Serve room temperature or warm.